Guru's 4th death anniversary: Kashmir remains shut, Protests erupt in Sopore

Guru's 4th death anniversary: Kashmir remains shut, Protests erupt in Sopore

Heavy deployment of security forces was witnessed in Kashmir today as the Valley observed the fourth death anniversary of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

On Thursday, security was stepped up in Srinagar city to prevent any untoward incident and authorities imposed restrictions in sensitive areas of the volatile province.

The call for the shutdown was given by joint resistance leadership comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik.

Dow dragged down by banks; S&P and Nasdaq flat
Advancing issues outnumbered declining ones on the NYSE by a 1.29-to-1 ratio; on Nasdaq , a 1.23-to-1 ratio favored decliners. The S&P 500 index showed 25 new 52-week highs and two new lows, while the Nasdaq recorded 73 new highs and 25 new lows.

Ghalib said the separatists should pursue the issue of the return of his father's mortal remains with more vigour.

The Galib Guru son of Afzal Guru while talking to the media questioned the separatist's leader and said, "Have our leaders forgotten what Afzal did for his nation". The business establishments in the Valley are closed and the traffic movement is also sparse. However, the authorities chose to leave nothing to chance, and suspended train services between Banihal and Baramulla. The public transport was also off the roads.

Meanwhile, police today disallowed a seminar organized by independent MLA Er Sheikh Abdur Rashid on Maqbool Bhat and Afzal Guru in Handwara area of border district of Kupwara.

Joost van der Westhuizen's brother speaks
South Africa hosted the 1995 World Cup and there would be a pot of gold at the end of the competition for the "Rainbow Nation". Van der Westhuizen was admitted to hospital in Johannesburg on Saturday, where his condition was described as "critical".

Muhammad Afzal Guru was hanged in New Delhi's Tihar Jail on this day in 2013 while Muhammad Maqbool Butt was sent to the gallows in the same jail on 11th February in 1984. Bhat's mortal remains were also not returned to his family.

After being barred from holding seminar, the MLA alongwith his supporters tried to take out a protest march. Later, they were later set free.

Hundreds of people visited the Guru family on Thursday to express solidarity with the family and demanded the mortal remains of Guru back, who was sentenced to death in 2002 for his role in planning an attack on Parliament in December 2001. Authorities have imposed restrictions in some parts of downtown Srinagar as well.

Twitter changes target abuse and harassment
Every few months, it seems like Twitter execs swear that the company will do a better job at shutting down abusive trolls . CEO Jack Dorsey has responded that user safety is important tot he company and has begun to roll out several new features.

Related Articles